Monday 29 October 2012

Sir Admiral Rotting

Two records that I picked up recently here that are nothing alike in musical style but they share a common bond in that I'd to varying degrees been after both for a while.

First up, Rotting Out and their debut LP Street Prowl


I'd been after this record for ages but it just seemed to keep eluding me, every time a distro got it in I'd think 'cool, I'll grab that in a couple of days' and by the time I came back to pick it up it had all sold out. Finally I was in the right time at the right place to pick this up from Go The Distance.


Why are all the dudes in the band sporting their own merch? Who are they Iron Maiden? haha
Anyway I dig this record alot. Great paced modern hardcore that whilst nothing especially new holds up well against the other current hardcore heavyweights out there. This band should be more well known than they are.


This is the second press of the album and comes with this insert of a decent sized poster backed with the lyrics.



It comes on this glorious red with black marbling vinyl, which really changes shade when held up to the light. Good looking vinyl.

Next -

 
The wacky named Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell - Don't Hear It...Fear It. Ever since I picked up the Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats LP on a whim a few months ago I've been on the look out for something similar as I really love that record. I saw this on a couple of blogs and also on the Rise Above Records website the same label that released the Uncle Acid LP so thought it might satisfy the dirty garage rock itch that I've developed, so I made a mental note to check this out.
 


I promptly forgot all about this record of course so when I saw it staring back at me in a record shop a few weeks ago I took a blind leap of faith and picked it up. Funny story here, after I picked this record up in the store about 10 seconds later a couple came in and it quickly became apparent from their not so hushed whispers that this was the record they had come in to buy, after frantically looking for a second copy and following me down the vinyl rack they left empty handed...score!


This record is of course beautifully packaged just like the Uncle Acid one, that Rise Above sure do a nice job with their presentation. Gate fold sleeve this time and on ace thick (I presume 180 gram) green vinyl. Not sure of pressing info but I would guess this is of 500. This is a good listen too, I've only had a few listens and whilst it's not as immediate as the Uncle Acid album and doesn't quite grab me in the same way, this is good stuff that is a slightly different beast. I think with more listens I'll find more in it as it's got that sort of layered spacey sound.

3 comments:

  1. "Who are they Iron Maiden?" ha ha ha...true, so true.

    That Admiral Sir Cloudesely Shovell album is really good...it doesn't immediately grab you, but the riffs are really solid and heavy. I really like this LP, but it isn't the first thing that you really think of when you want to listen to this rocking style.

    Green vinyl is limited to 300 copies, but Rise Above just had some serious water damage to their offices/warehouse, so it is possible that some of those ended up getting scrapped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rotting Out is huge in california. When I saw them with Backtrack and Cold World, they easily had the biggest crowd response. But I've seen them a bunch of times now and it drives me crazy that they always wear their own merch. I could see if they were on tour and can't really wash their clothes so they grab a few t shirts from the merch bag, but fuck man all up on the album cover? And that sir admiral LP cover is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete