Monday 12 November 2012

Getting Earache

There's no rhyme or reason to my record buying most of the time and I'm so far out of synch with the order I've bought stuff I might as well feature these records quickly even though I've bought loads of stuff I'm yet to write about here before these.

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from Earache Records saying they'd found some records in their warehouse they didn't know they had and they were all out of print and records they wouldn't be pressing again. You can guess what happened next right? Yeah I've clicked over there and checked out the unearthed gems. By the time I got there the heavy hitting super rare finds had been snapped up but a couple of things did catch my eye.


This is Lawnmowers Deth's 1993 album Billy. You know Lawnmower Deth right? crazy comedy metal and thats the end of the story. Well no actually. In '93 they released this album and it's got more in common with Green Day and the other american punk making it's way over here in the early to mid 90's. I remmeber hearing the album back then and thinking it was a dramatic change for the band. If they are taking the piss out of the genre then they do a bloody good job of it 'cos frankly this is a really decent slab of pop-punk.


So whilst adding Billy to my cart I HAD to look for something else too and this equally cheap little number jumped out at me.


Blood From The Soul - To Spite The Gland That Breeds also from 1993. The blurb underneath said that this was an industrial-metal album with Shane Embury from Napalm Death playing all the instruments. So what right? Well quite, but what caught my eye was the guy doing vocals on this - Lou Koller of Sick Of It All. I'd never heard of this but for the price figured it was a punt, especially as it wasn't in print anymore.
It sounds of course exactly how you'd imagine early 90's industrial type stuff to sound, drawing comparison to other bands of that ilk I haven't listened to in years Prong, Ministry, Misery Loves Company etc. It's not bad actually and whilst not really to my tastes exactly it's a decent listen and interesting to hear Lou singing on this kinda stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment