Monday 5 May 2014

Not RSD '14

As I always say, I have a load of stuff to blog about. I'm gonna jump up the pile a bit though so that this post is at least semi current and also to take four records off the pile in one swoop.

So Record Store Day 2014 has come and gone and on the day in question I looked on in interest (via twitter etc) at the queues outside record stores near me, some fools were queueing from the evening previous. MADNESS!! Me? I stayed in bed, there was only a couple of things I wanted and I just couldn't be bothered with it for the second year running. What I did was wait until the following week like I had done a year previous feeling pretty damn confident that at least two of the three things I had any interest in would still be sat on the shelf waiting for me. And what do you know...

Battery - What Ever It Takes


This was my main want so I was pleased to grab it off the shelf, a repress of Battery What Ever It Takes. This is a good pressing of the record too, I remember having a copy of this before years ago and it didn't sound brilliant. This on the other hand must have been remastered etc because it sounds great. Orange vinyl limited to 700 copies.


Up Front - Spirit


Released originally in 1988 and never having owned a copy previously I was stoked when I heard that Spirit by Up Front was getting the reissue treatment from Smorgasbord Records. I wasn't sure if the shop would actually have this but there it was on the shelf. On paying the guy at the counter said they'd only got one copy of this in and he couldn't believe no one had picked it up on Record Store day. He said it with a shake of the head and we exchanged a knowing look. Great record.


Sensefield - Building


I actually wasn't as bothered about this record as the other two and figured it would probably be my make do record for the lack of Up Front. However, it being there with the others I couldn't help but pick it up too. Not that it's not a fine record, I remember a friend playing this to me back in '95 and me not liking it much at first, but slowly I dug it. I just wasn't excited about it. I am pleased to have picked it up though.

 
On leaving that store I ventured to a non Record Store Day store to see if they had anything worth picking up (the change was burning a hole in my pocket).
 
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
 
 
I was feeling metal (pronounced Mettttaaaaaalllllll) so it was no surprise that this reissue of Pantera Far Beyond Driven caught my eye. Look at that rather unsavoury originally banned cover. This is on double vinyl and sounds great. I always liked this record, it's not as immediate or anthem filled as Vulgar Display and probably not as angry or forward thinking as Great Southern Trendkill but over the years it grew on me a lot. I once watched a stripper strip to 5 Minutes Alone too so that song has new memory's attached to it now haha. The gatefold features the more well known version of the album cover.


So, Record Store Day, once again I've picked up what I wanted without having to get up at stupid o'clock. Seems to me that unless you're after Bowie reissues or One Direction 7"s (really???) then you can just cruise up to your local store as normal and pick up the RSD releases at your leisure. Which once again raises the question, who exactly is getting in line on Record Store Day??

1 comment:

  1. yeah, i was getting in line and you know the outcome... man, that original pantera cover is as repulsive as it is hard not to look at the details. that's what makes a good metal cover :-)

    ReplyDelete